Fibro pinky :)

I did say I'd write about the 'solution' I found for fibro pinky. And since my last post was quite heavy, I felt the need to have a bit of a lighter one 😁

Thinking about how I handled the fibro in my ankles, knees, and back, I figured the same approach should work for my pinky. So I did a bit of testing to create a home-made splint.

This is my first trial 👇 A matchstick broken in half and set, with a rubber band, on the outside of the pinky joint that hurts the most. It wasn't quite right coz my finger could still bend ...  


... so trial number two was two matchsticks broken in half an set on the inside of the joint. This worked a bit better coz it stopped the joint from moving. 


But ... what the first joint wasn't feeling then moved to the second joint!! So on to trial number three: two full-sized matchsticks on the inside of my finger. And finally: Succeeeeeesssssssssss! (as Dexter would say ... Dexter's Laboratory, Dexter, not Dexter serial killer, Dexter) 🎆🎆🎆 (🠜 allegedly those are fireworks 🙎)


And then I decided to have a little fun 😁🐰


Of course the story doesn't end there! Those of you with fibro won't be surprised! Because of the angle I was now typing at, my wrist started to hurt 😣 (🠜 that's called 'persevering face' ... a propos, no?) So I got out my laptop cover with the lovely Palestinian cross-stitch pattern ...


... and rolled it up to create a wrist rest. Guess what I'll be asking for for Christmas! 😄


Now, apart from the fact that the rubber band was seriously cutting off my circulation which meant I could only type for about a half-hour at a time before having to take the splint off, a rubber band and matchsticks didn't really seem like much of a permanent solution. So off to the pharmacy I went to find a more professional, refined finger splint. Something I could wear in public if the need arose. 

The thing is: finger splints are massive!! I wouldn't be able to do anything with one of those on my finger! They did have latex finger covers and I figured I could hide my matchstick splint underneath the latex except I'm allergic to latex so that was a definite no go. I reckoned I could always rip up one of my old t-shirts to sew a finger cover over which the latex would go and as I was mulling this approach on my way out ...  remember in my post on how I discovered I have fibro when I said that on my way out of the pharmacy, I saw the maternity belt out of the corner of my eye and decided to give it a try as my back support? ... I saw this 👇 the latex finger cover with gauze 'bandages' that go under it so the latex never touches my finger. [say it with me now:  Succeeeeeesssssssssss! ]



And yes, I know what you're thinking about the latex ... I'm thinking it, too. At least you don't have to roll them down your fingers every day! 😂😂😂 (yeah, two fingers now coz the right pinky seems to have gotten jealous of being naked)

Fingerdoms purchased, I enlisted the help of my always supportive mummy to cut them down to size and stitch them. I had to close the top so it would shield my fingertip from the latex. I also used fabric glue to seal the top and bottom of the gauze so the material wouldn't fray. 


And here you have it, folks! My trusty fingerdom!!! 


You can just make out the outline of matchsticks under the gauze.


This is what it looks like in action. You can see I'm struggling a little because, honestly, not being able to bend the pinky causes a lot more confusion to the other nine fingers that you'd think!


Til next we meet, keep your chin up - where there's a will, there's a way 😁


Comments